By Brad - Thursday 5 Jun 6:24 pm
Beginning a job search can be overwhelming whether a person has been recently laid off or is considering options for a growth opportunity. Keep a few simple options in mind and your search will prove successful.
1. Develop an organized system. If you don’t take your job search seriously why would anyone else. Searching for a job is similar to having a job. Set up a schedule for searching, posting resumes, networking and making follow-ups. Make your search a professional priority is taking the first step.
2. Go to the source. If you are looking for a specific position in an industry do not limit yourself to large and generic job search sites. Head directly to the employers you are interested in and apply via their site or human resources department. Do not limit yourself to only the well known employers in your field either; try small and mid-size companies as well.
3. Work with a staffing firm that services your industry. If you’ve sent your resume to the companies you are interested in or if you’ve searched several sites and found no openings, you may need professional help for your job search. Consider a headhunter or staffing service that specializes in your industry. These services have direct and up-to-date contact with potential employers. They will also review your resume and provide insider information about what potential employers are looking for.
4. Network at industry events and through professional organization websites and forums. No matter how old-fashioned you think networking is or how you think the internet has improved job searching, there is little substitute for getting out and making your self known to potential employers.
5. Send cover letters and resumes to a specific person not “to whom it may concern” or to the “hiring manager”. Employers and human resources departments receive resumes and applications by the hundreds. You will be just another number added to the pile or scanned then disposed of unless what you offer stands out. The first step in getting noticed is to get your information to the right party then wow them.
Follow these five simple steps and your job search will begin the journey to a new job in the right direction. Just remember to be consistent and keep following up, you will get the job that is right for you.
Posted in: Job Search